Speech and Language Therapists - Eastern services
Speech and language therapists (SLTs) provide life-improving treatment, support and care for people who have difficulties with communication, eating, drinking or swallowing.
Our service provides assessment, diagnosis, treatment and advice to help people reach and maintain their best level of communication and/or swallowing, increase independence, and live to their full potential.
Using specialist skills, our team works directly with people and their families and carers to provide them with tailored support. We also work closely with other health care professionals including doctors, nurses, psychologists, occupational therapists and physiotherapists to develop individual treatment programmes.
More about us
Our service is provided to people who are in-patients at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford), Mardon Neurorehabilitation Centre, Tiverton and District Hospital, Exmouth Hospital and Sidmouth Victoria Hospital.
We also work with people in the community through out-patient appointments, in their own homes, and in nursing and care homes.
Our specialist teams work with people affected by a wide range of acquired conditions, including:
- Head injury
- Progressive neurological conditions, such as dementia, Parkinson’s disease and motor neurone disease
- Other neurological conditions
- Cancer, particularly of the head and/or neck
- Voice disorders
- Respiratory conditions
- Age-related conditions
- Conditions requiring surgery and/or intensive care
We also have a service for people with a:
- Learning disability
If you have difficulties with communication and/or swallowing and you think you might benefit from seeing a speech and language therapist, you can discuss this with your GP or another healthcare professional involved in your care, who can then refer you to our service for an appointment.
Services and treatments
Our team will work with you and your family to identify what is important to you about your communication and/or swallowing, and devise a tailored plan to help you to achieve the best possible outcome.
Intervention may involve:
- Improving the intelligibility of your speech
- Improving the quality of your voice
- Improving understanding of spoken and written language
- Improving production of spoken and written language
- Providing or recommending alternative means of communication
- Improving your overall ability to communicate with others
- Providing exercises to strengthen the muscles involved in swallowing
- Recommending strategies to help you to swallow more efficiently and comfortably
- Recommending different food textures and/or drink consistencies to help you to swallow more comfortably
- Helping you to adapt to changes in your communication and/or swallowing and manage them in the best way possible
We will provide intervention that is specific to you, taking into account your wishes and the nature and cause of your difficulties. Not all of the above interventions are appropriate for all medical conditions.
Where to find us
RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW
Area J, Level 0.
Information for healthcare professionals
If you are a healthcare professional and would like to discuss making a referral to our service, please contact us on 01392 402489.
Please note that patients with voice disorders must be seen by ENT before they are referred.