Our electronic patient record system, Epic, was implemented successfully across our Eastern services in October 2020 and is due to Go-Live across our Northern services on 9 July 2022. This digital milestone has been reached in just one year for Northern Devon, and is the culmination of over four years of work to improve how services are delivered across Eastern and Northern Devon to enable improved, safer, and better-quality care for local people.
Epic will improve everyone’s experience at the Royal Devon: patients, carers, visitors, and staff. All the information about our patients will now be in one secure place, so, regardless of where patients are seen or which clinical teams they meet, our staff will be able to access their record quickly and efficiently, better joining-up their care.
Epic is a vital part of how we will improve patient care and plays a key role in delivering the strategic objectives in our Trust strategy.
How will it benefit our patients?
Epic transforms the way we care for our patients and changes the way our staff work. Our core services cover more than 2,000 square miles across Devon. With Epic, it doesn’t matter if you visit our two acute hospitals, 17 community hospitals or community or specialist care services, or if your care is provided where you live – your care will be better joined-up and you won’t need to repeat the same information to different members of staff.
In addition, Epic will:
- Give patients more visibility and control of their own care with our MY CARE app (see more information below)
- Give patients easy and secure access to parts of their medical record
- Reduce repeating information and filling out duplicate forms
- Ensure that patients are seen in the best place at the right time, by the right clinician
- Help reduce to hospital visits and extended stays
MY CARE: life made simpler
When you’re anxious about your own health or the health of a loved one, the last thing you need is extra anxiety from getting your care arrangements sorted.
But all those important letters, appointments, phone calls, medication details, care plans and so on – well, they often leave the best of us feeling confused and in the dark.
Just at the moment when we need kindness, clarity and a reliable helping hand. That’s why we’re on a mission at the Royal Devon to cut as much bureaucracy for our patients as we can.
The good news is that we have made a little breakthrough.
MY CARE is just an app. It doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it’s one of those neat and simple short-cuts which really punches above its weight. It has already proved to be life-changing – no exaggeration - for the many patients already using it.
By bringing all those interactions with your medical team into one place and giving you a complete, up-to-the-minute picture of your care arrangements, MY CARE minimises the red tape and cuts down all those different contact routes you may find yourself navigating at the moment.
We want to make sure all the patients we care for can feel clearer and more in control of what really matters. Their health.
MY CARE: life made simpler.
The benefits include:
- Patients gain easy and secure access to their own records
- Patients seen in the best place, by the best care provider
- Patients no longer having to repeat themselves to different staff and receiving quicker test results
- Patients and staff having easy, real-time access to a comprehensive picture of a patient’s healthcare history (GPs and staff caring for patients in their homes are also able to access the system)
- Removes frustration for staff having to log in many times to multiple computer systems and eliminating unnecessary paper documentation and forms
- Creates more time to care and ensures staff have the latest tech devices to deliver mobile care
MY CARE is now available for people living in Eastern Devon and Northern Devon.