West of England Eye Unit (WEEU)
The West of England Eye Unit (WEEU) is based at the RD&E Wonford Hospital. Our specialist glaucoma unit is based at Heavitree Hospital.
We have an outpatient unit, a day case surgery unit, a theatre block, a specialist glaucoma unit, an eye emergency service, and dedicated optometry and orthoptic departments. We also run services at the Nightingale Hospital Exeter, Heavitree Hospital, Axminster Hospital, Tiverton Hospital and Sidmouth Hospital. The orthoptic service also serves the smaller community hospitals such as Crediton and Seaton.
Information and about us
We offer the following services:
- Emergency eye services
- Cataract surgery (day case department)
- Adult Strabismus (Squint) / Ocular Motility service
- Cornea services
- General eye problems
- Glaucoma services
- Medical retina (including macular degeneration and diabetic eye disease)
- Surgical retina
- Paediatric opthalmology
- Eye Day Case Unit 01392 406013
- Orthoptic department 01392 406031
- Mr Knox-Cartwright’s secretary on 01392 406211
- Glaucoma unit, call 01392 406045
- Macular office on 01392 406052
- Secretary for medical paediatric ophthalmology: 01392 406008
- Orthoptic secretaries: 01392 406031
- Optometry Michelle Thornley and Annika Bohan, Specialist Medical Secretaries, 01392 406037, email@example.com
- Orthoptics - 01392 406031
Where to find us
West of England Eye Unit (WEEU)
RD&E Wonford, Barrack Rd, Exeter EX2 5DW
From the main hospital reception, turn immediately right for the West of England Eye Unit.
Meet the team
- Mr James Benzimra
- Mr Daniel Byles
- Mr Nat Knox Cartwright
- Mr Roland Ling
- Mr Sam Marshall-Evans
- Mr Rob Munneke
- Mr Peter Simcock
- Mr Mike Smith
- Ms Hirut Von Lany
- Mr Conor Ramsden
- Ms Ioana Pereni
- Ms Fiona Irvine
- Ms Elizabeth Wilkinson
- Mr Harry Roberts
- Mr Neil Bowley
- Mr Andrew Cowdray
You may also be seen by one of the other ophthalmologists (specialist eye doctors).
- Lead Nurse Practitioner, Glaucoma: Carly Slade
- Mrs Jo Tripp (Lead Nurse, Medical retina)
- Kieran Loft (Specialist Optometrist, medical retina)
- Elizabeth Cave, Specialist Practitioner, Cataracts and Glaucoma
- Mrs Debbie McGrane, Head orthoptist
- Louise Frost: Head Optometrist
- Kieran Loft, Specialist Optometrist
- Elizabeth Sullivan: Specialist Optometrist
- James Isaac: Specialist Optometrist
- Louise Isaac: Specialist Optometrist
- Adam Jones: Specialist Optometrist
- Andy Laird: Optometrist
- Laura Kelly: Dispensing Optician
- Jane Ibbeson: Orthoptist
- Debbie McGrane, Head Orthoptist
- Laura Doucas, Deputy Head Orthoptist
Education and training
The West of England Eye Unit (WEEU) supports a large number of junior doctors, including trainee ophthalmic specialists and GP trainees. We are also fortunate to attract a number of clinical fellows from across the world.
WEEU has a long history of developing specialist practitioner roles, most notably in A&E, macular and glaucoma services.
Nurse practitioners are nurses who have completed a specialist qualification in ophthalmology and some may also complete the non-medical prescribing qualification. Our optometrists and orthoptists, who already hold degrees in eye care, also complete further training and higher qualifications so they can work in highly-specialised roles.
Information for healthcare professionals
If possible, please indicate an appropriate sub-speciality on your referral, as this will ensure your patient gets the right care as quickly as possible.
If you are a GP or optometrist wishing to make a referral for suspected retinal detachment, tear, or hole, please call 01392 402399 to discuss with our triage team.