Minor injuries units (MIUs) and Walk-in centre (WIC)
Walk-in centre (WIC)
You can go to a walk-in centre (WIC) if you have a medical problem that is not critical or life threatening, including for blood pressure checks or minor cuts and wounds.
Our WIC is in the city centre on Sidwell Street, Exeter and is staffed by highly trained nurse practitioners. Click here for more information.
Choosing a walk-in centres for non-life threatening conditions will ensure you receive the best possible treatment, leaving our Emergency Department free to deal with the more serious cases.
The WIC is open seven days a week, 8am-8pm.
Minor injuries units (MIUs)
Our minor injuries units are here to help if your medical problem is not critical or life-threatening.
They are staffed by highly-qualified nurse practitioners who can deal with a wide range of injuries, from burns to broken bones.
You do not need an appointment to attend the minor injuries unit and there is no need to call us before coming in.
Our minor injuries units are based at:
- Honiton Community Hospital – Open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week, with the last patient booking in at 7.30pm. Please check our social media accounts for updates on any changes to these opening times.
- Exmouth Community Hospital – Open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Please check our social media accounts for updates on any changes to these opening times.
- Ilfracombe Tyrrell Hospital – A weekend MIU service (Friday to Monday) is available from 10am to 6pm – Please note X-Ray is temporarily closed.
- Lyn Health Medical & Minor Injury Service – Open 8am to 6pm weekdays (closed weekends, Christmas Day and bank holidays). Please call before attending, walk-in service unavailable.
- Bideford Community Hospital – MIU temporarily closed.
The GP practices nearest Ilfracombe and Bideford MIUs also provide an interim minor injury service Monday to Friday. Although these do accept walk-in patients it will be based on capacity and we ask that people call NHS 111 or call ahead to the GP practice first. You may be directed to a more appropriate service for your needs to ensure you get the correct treatment at the right time.
Other UTC and MIS services across North and East Devon
There are other services across North and East Devon, which provide different levels of treatment and opening times dependant on your specific need. Please note these service are not managed by Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. Click on the links below for further details:
An Urgent Treatment Centre (UTC) will see anyone that does not require an ambulance or a visit to an Emergency Department but whose complaint is too urgent for a routine appointment with their GP – with access to X-ray. Please check opening times and services provided via the links below:
A Minor Injury Service (MIS) is led by local GP surgery, treating conditions like sprains, sprains, minor head injuries, cuts, and grazes, and is usually run by a nurse practitioner, Monday to Friday. Please check opening times and services provided via the links below: