Minor injuries units (MIUs) and Walk-in centre (WIC)
Walk-in centre (WIC)
You can go to a walk-in centre (WIC) if you have a medical problem that is not critical or life threatening, including for blood pressure checks or minor cuts and wounds.
Our WIC is in the city centre on Sidwell Street, Exeter and is staffed by highly trained nurse practitioners. Click here for more information.
Choosing a walk-in centres for non-life threatening conditions will ensure you receive the best possible treatment, leaving our Emergency Department free to deal with the more serious cases.
Minor injuries units (MIUs)
Our minor injuries units are here to help if your medical problem is not critical or life-threatening.
They are staffed by highly qualified nurse practitioners who can deal with a wide range of injuries, from burns to broken bones.
You do not need an appointment to attend the minor injuries unit and there is no need to call us before coming in.
Our minor injuries units are based at
- Honiton Community Hospital
- Ilfracombe Tyrrell Hospital - a summer weekend MIU service (Friday to Monday) is available from 10am to 6pm. Please note X-Ray is temporarily closed.
- Lyn Health Medical & Minor Injury Service - Open 8am to 6pm weekdays (closed weekends, Christmas Day and bank holidays) – please call before attending, walk in service unavailable.
- Bideford Community Hospital (MIU temporarily closed)
The GP practices nearest Ilfracombe and Bideford MIUs also provide an interim minor injury service Monday to Friday. Although these do accept walk-in patients it will be based on capacity and we ask that people call NHS 111 or call ahead to the GP practice first. You may be directed to a more appropriate service for your needs to ensure you get the correct treatment at the right time.
There are other MIUs/MIS across North and East Devon (please note these service are not managed by Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust):
- Axminster Medical Practice
- Beacon Medical Centre in Sidmouth
- Claremont Medical Practice (Exmouth)
- Exmouth Community Hospital
- Holsworthy Medical Centre
- Okehampton Medical Centre
- Sid Valley Practice
- Stratton Hospital
- Tiverton and District Hospital
- Torrington Castle Gardens Surgery
Choosing one of these minor injuries units for non life-threatening conditions will ensure you receive the best possible treatment in the quickest time.