The Royal Devon Safeguarding Service is based at both the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (Wonford) and at the North Devon District Hospital. Our Safeguarding Teams coordinate this service for adults and children across the Trust.
Every health organisation is required to have named professionals in place to safeguard adults and children to protect them from harm. We are proud to have a team in place that strives to promote best practices amongst our colleagues, providing advice, supervision, education and support for all safeguarding issues.
Our named professionals work closely with other health professionals including clinicians, GPs, health visitors, mental health services, CAMHS and school nurses. This also includes partner agencies such as the police and social care as well as other statutory and voluntary organisations.
Get in touch
East Devon, Mid Devon and Exeter
The Head of Safeguarding leads the safeguarding team. This service is available for all staff working within the organisation and offers advice and support for all issues relating to safeguarding.
We are available between 08.30 and 16.30
Tel: 01392 406430
Safeguarding email: email@example.com
Safeguarding midwife email: rde-tr.MidwiferySafeguarding@nhs.net
The Nurse Consultant for Safeguarding leads the Integrated Safeguarding Service.
This service is available for all staff working within the organisation and offers advice and support for all issues relating to safeguarding.
We are available Monday to Friday between 8.30 and 16.30
General contact information
Tel: 01271 341533
Mental Capacity Act/Liberty Protection Safeguards
Tel: 01271 341521
Information for Police and social care professionals
Police or social care professionals wishing to discuss child protection assessments:
- North Devon District Hospital - please contact the Consultant Paediatrician on-call via the NDDH switchboard
- Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital (Wonford) please contact the paediatrician on-call via the RD&E switchboard
Meet the team
- Chief Nursing Officer / Executive Lead Safeguarding – Carolyn Mills
- Nurse Consultant Safeguarding Lead NDHT – Anna Brimacombe
- Head of Safeguarding RD&E – Caroline Holt
- Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children NDHT – Dr Chris Poh
- Named Doctor for Safeguarding Children RD&E – Dr John-Paul Smith
- Named Doctor for Safeguarding Adults RD&E – Dr Jane Sword
- Named Midwife NDHT – Angela Whitfield
- Named Midwife RD&E – Alison Macefield Safeguarding Midwife RD&E – Nikki Soper
- Specialist Nurse Safeguarding Adults NDHT – Mary Fisher and Alison Bradshaw
- Specialist Nurse Safeguarding Children NDHT – Laura Lethaby
- Specialist Nurse SARC/Sexual Health and Exploitation – Louise Barraclough
- Senior Safeguarding Nurses RD&E – Alison Roberts, Annette Emanuel and Fern Deasington
- Safeguarding Specialists RD&E – Victoria Heath and Kate Gawler
- Mental Capacity Act/Liberty Protection Safeguards Lead NDHT– Pete Deadman
- Mental Capacity Act/Liberty Protection Safeguards Lead RD&E – Stacey Endacott
- MCA/LPS Practitioners NDHT –April Olive
The Board of the Royal Devon University Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust is assured that the following are in place to meet the requirements of the Care Quality Commission Regulation 13 and ensure that systems and processes safeguard all our patients whether they are children, young people or adults.